Thursday, December 17, 2015

Nona's T-Shirt Quilt

Hey Everyone!!!


I pray that you all are well and have had a wonderful quilty past week.


I have been working on Christmas quilt #2.  This quilt is due for delivery the week of Christmas.  This quilt reminds me of the quote, "When life hands you scraps, make a quilt!"  Not saying that it's bad, I'm just saying that it is way different than what I am used to receiving.


I met Nona in the parking lot of Wal-Mart.  She was super nice, I gave her my card and was hopeful to hear from her again.  Several months later, she sent me a text and I was super elated. I met with her at the assigned drop off and pick up point close to my home.  I usually take the time to get a good glance of everything prior to accepting a quilt top or t-shirts.  She had given me a huge tote bag and she pulled out several items from the bag.  I noticed that some of T's have already been cut and even stabilized in a manner that My eyes have never seen, but heard of.  She stabilized the tops with a fusible interfacing and another cotton fabric (I just back the T-shirt with my favorite Pellon stabilizer).  She then explained that her intended was to create the top herself and have it quilted, but life had flipped on her.  I shook my head, because you know I know what that feels like!  She then stated that the rest of the T's were in the bag.  She was in a bit of a hurry and I was too sorta, we were painting and getting my quilt studio together.


So this weekend, I was ready to work on this quilt.  I pulled everything from the bag and noticed there were NO whole T-shirts,  everything has been cut and cut in different sizes.  This is what I meant by the quote above.  I was thrown for a loop because - I know how I cut T's and how to watch out for logo placements.  I had very little wiggle room to resize these blocks and on some, I will definitely be cutting into the logos.  I blame myself solely, because I didn't take the time to look thru the whole bag.  In a way I was handed scraps, so now I had to make a quilt!   I also realize that this is a perfect way for me to prepare for things outside of my norm, so it's a good thing!!! 😊


Here is a pic of some of the blocks on my design wall. 

                                                   
       

I have to mark a throw size template on our living room floor so that I can figure out the exact placement of each block and add the necessary fillers.  In my next post I will be sure to show more pics of this beauty.


Well, off to quilting I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment