Tuesday, August 26, 2014

First Charity Quilt

Hi, everyone!!!

The past several weeks I have had been busy piecing.  I finished the King size quilt top for our future king size bed!  As I stated before, I started this quilt way back in Nov' 13.  I lost the pattern and had to piece from memory.  The saving grace was that I had all the pieces cut and a sample design sketched out on paper.  I was pretty bummed, but this gave way for me to be a little creative.  As I neared the end, literally the last two side borders, I just so happened to be going thru my pics on my cellphone and what did I see - a picture of the pattern, I was so excited!!!  My memory did not fail me much...the only thing that was different were the middle and outer border sizes.  I was not going to cry about this, not at all!!!   I have no pictures of the top completely opened, this is primarily due to the crazy rainy weather we've been having, but I do have a pic of it folded:



I didn't take a break, I went right on to the next quilt, a charity quilt.  It's for one our Sick and Shut In members at church, the only male.  When I saw this pattern, I knew that this was the one.  



Rock Creek, by Jean Nolte.  It is in the Spring 2014 issue of Quilting Quickly.  I thought this would be a great masculine quilt, keeping with the colors blue and neutral.  Of course, I don't have much of a stash, so I had to shopping.  I went to Cotton Fields Quilt Shop to see Lori.  I came away with these babies:


I was excited to get started:

  

Hadn't worked with HST's in awhile.  So the thought of having to match points was, let's just say nerve wrecking!!!

I put them all together and realized I didn't get enough fabric, that is SO, SO the story of my life!!! Then, I remembered that he (the recipient) is wheelchair bound and that a 4 x 4 grid would be very generous!!!


Time to start creating the rows:


Looking good, right?!?  I thought so, anyway. :o)

Then to:


And before, I knew it - I was done with the top, WOOP WOOP!!!


Now, to quilt as desired!  Ha, that is a joke!!!  I love how Jean quilted hers, but I'm not there on ruler work quilting...not even close.  So, I'm thinking about a geometric meandor.  Now, just to find one that is do-able and newbie friendly!


Loaded, without a design - so, so, so sad!!!

Well, this what I have been up to quilty wise.  What are you up to?













1 comment: