Saturday, April 6, 2013

It Ain't Easy Folks!!!

Yep, I said the word "Ain't!"Does it make me sound uneducated - good, because when it comes to long arm quilting and me - I'M IS!!! (jk, I AM!!!)

Before, "Ava," I was fighting, pushing and smushing a big quilt under my Janome 1600 (even tho pain meds were required afterwards) with my stitches looking decent!  Now, my quilting is purtee ugly!! My mind is racing in so many directions its not even funny.  Where do I begin?  How do I pick a design for the quilt?  All I hear in my head is practice, practice, practice, but practice what?  Stippling/meandoring, I can do, but that's it!  I tried a pantograph and it honestly looked as if I was blindfolded AND driving under the influence.  I was told that it was an easy pattern. I beg to differ!  I know your thinking..."What happened to you grabbing the handlebars and taking control, or what about you being born to long arm, huh?"  I seriously don't know!!!

*Excuse me while I fuss at myself*

CALM DOWN STEPHANIE!!!  YOU HAVEN'T EVEN CLOCK A SOLID 35 MINUTES ON THE DANG ON MACHINE AND YOU EXPECTED WHAT!  REALLY!?! REALLY!?!

*(Whimpering) ok, I'm back!*

I am here to tell ya - If it wasn't for me trying to work on self improving, I declare that, Ava, would be sitting in a dark room collecting dust from this day to the rest of mine!  I refuse to be defeated by her!!!  I have brainstormed and figured out a way to improve on using my her.  As I stated in Episode 3 of my podcast I want to start making videos of me quilting.  The videos will be about 5-10 minutes in length and will be published on the 3rd weekend of each month.  I want to share with you the designs that I am working on and especially the ones I need practice on.  In doing so, I hope to inspire others who are new to long arm quilting to not give up and maybe, just maybe an experienced long armer will see the videos and make suggestions that would assist us in making our long arming experience less challenging.

But in the meantime, isn't darling?


My very first Pin Cushion Thread Catcher.  I don't think I will be making another one anytime soon!  Also, I'm still taking pics for the crossword puzzle quilt.  Hopefully, in a month or so the top will be complete.

So, what are you working on today?

1 comment:

  1. I was also trying to machine quilt today on my sewing machine. I have 2 machines, an old Singer and a modern 'computer-that-sews' machine. I finally gave up on the vintage and started using the computer-that-sews. I really like the Singer but for some reason that I can't figure out the upper thread catches sometimes on the bobbin case. I now wonder if it isn't the quilt catching on the thread. The older machines have the thread path exposed.
    I look forward to seeing the videos. Have a great weekend. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete