Sunday, March 3, 2013

Long Arm Quilting Class

Yesterday was such a busy day and it is still leaving me dazed.  I have been stressing to my hubby how much I would like to be the owner of the Handi Quilter Avante.  It all started when I went to quilt the Breast Cancer Quilt with Dawn on her Handi Quilter Sixteen.  I was hooked and haven't stop talking about it since.



(PIC FROM THE HANDI QUILTER WEBSITE)

I wanted to rent time on the Avante, prior to purchasing it.  Therefore, I had to take a beginner's long arm class.  I was glad that I could get the class when it was more convenient for me.  I found out later that Saturday's are not good rental days due to her not always being available.  I was not happy because this is the only day I am available and I live 1 1/2 hrs away.

Anyway, first we watched an hour long video on thread.  It was very informative, but I had already watched it on YouTube several times.  This time, I took notes and enjoyed watching it again.  Then we  loaded a quilt on the frame in between customers walking in and needing to be served.   I still don't know how to load the quilt on the frame.  ;o(  I was told, that when I come to rent, that she would be there to assist me, foo-we!

The rest of our time was spent doing some FMQ'ing, quilting with pantographs paper using the laser light, and talking about most of the accessories.

I knew I would not walk away from the class quilting like a pro or even half way decently.  To be honest, all of our samples were pretty horrible.  I feel once you are home or in a comfortable environment, the outcome is much different because you are relaxed.  I did expect to leave knowing the parts of the machine and how each part worked or at least how to thread the machine.  I know these machines don't differ much from sewing machines, but still it should have been addressed.  If I would have walked away learning the features on each machine...I would have been more happy.  I had to revert back to Internet/Youtube to learn about the features of the Avante.

So, I can't wait to get my machine and then I will be able to sit and play with it as much as I want.  I was glad I took the class, but it was a waste of money and not worth the $150.00 it cost.

Have anyone else taking a class prior to renting a LAQM?  Please share your experience.

Until next time, I hope you'll be Blessed 2 Quilt today!

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment